Thanks to both Kelly and Munir for your help!  I think I have it
now.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Kelly Black wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 August 2002 11:59, you wrote:

> Try fuser.

Thanks for the suggestion - that appears to have worked.  It took
a little bit of tracking down.  I wouldn't see anything at all
unless I both remounted the file system and used the -m option
(which apparently causes the command to simply assume the
filesystem is mounted).  Omitting either one didn't produce
anything useful.  If I didn't mount the drive and simply used -m,
it listed everything.  If I mounted the drive and didn't use -m,
I'd get no processes, or the kernel if I also used -v.

Using them both together pointed out the culprit uniquely --
"fam".

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Munir Nassar wrote:

> have you tried umount -f?
>
> if this does not work try loging out/in
> and fixing the autofs crap... just remove that stuff from your computer...
> (why do you need autofs on a hard drive partition?)
> and then see what happens
>
> also you can try doing a fuser -v <path to mounted dir> as root
>
> Munir Nassar

Umount -f didn't work, not even as root.  It gave an error
message something like "device busy, can't unmount, illegal
seek".

And fuser -v didn't do much either.  For some reason I needed -m
as described above.

As to your other question about why I needed this - I'm beginning
to wonder myself.  Mostly laziness, I think.  In my head I tend
to see the filesystems as mounted because they are windows drives
and all drives are always mounted under windows.  Under linux, I
typically need just one file off the windows drive and type the
copy or move command out and get pissed when it tells me I need
to mount the drive first.  But obviously the few extra keystrokes
each time I do this over my lifetime will be far less painful
than screwing with this automounter.

On the other hand, it taught me about fuser.  Live and learn.

Thanks for your help, again.

Rob