On Sunday 01 September 2002 00:17, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:39:17 -0500 (CDT)
>
> Jima <jima at beer.tclug.org> wrote:
> >  Fire up a web browser and go to http://localhost:631 .  (cupsd should
> >  be
> > listening on that.)
> >  Click on "Manage Printers".
> >  On the next screen there should be a button that says "Add Printer".
>
> Too cool!  Thanks jima.  I had to install it from a package off of the
> 4th cd in the Slack disk set.  I got cupsd running, however I run into a
> permissions issue:
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.  (both
> as root and regular user.  However I noticed lp:sys is owner.  Seeing
> what I can do to rectify this.
>
> Taking it one step at a time....

Answer:
 From: Gooseman (me at here.com)
Subject: Re: CUPS
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware

03:46:09 PST
In article <9lultc$3elk$1 at node21.cwnet.roc.gblx.net>, "Bomber"
<bomstad at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Well for some reason I cannot get authorization.  I enter root and root
> password but it fails.  I am at a loss.
>
> Thanks
> Anyway

Same problem here, it turns out slackware 8 has different crypto
libraries to what cups expects. easy fix is to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and change the lines where it says "AuthType Basic" to "AuthType None"
comment out the AuthClass line below it, dont worry about security as you
can only access the printer configs from localhost by default
Unfortunately theres no word on a fix for it :(

Gooseman
I did the AuthType change here and commented out the AuthClass and it worked
(at least from version I am running CUPS v1.1.12) and only gets you localhost
access :-(

I can share my cupsd.conf if you would like.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ