On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Brian wrote:
> Is there any cute tools for aiding the configuration like webmin or
> anything?  Are the sample files "good enough" to get it working in
> short enough order to mess around with it?

Yeah, there's a few tools to config it. Check netsaint.org, they list
them. All of 'em kind of sucked last time I tried them though. The samples
give you WAY more than enough info. It's not that it's hard to set up a
single server; it's just hard to maintain the config for a few hundred
monitor items.

> I need a tool (or suite of tools, if need be) to monitor things.  For
> one, I need to monitor the traffic and find out why our 100 Mbit
> switched network is SO FREAKING SLOW.  I also need a tool to monitor
> various pieces of networking hardware (servers, switches, routers,
> etc) so if a link goes down, we can troubleshoot it quickly.  I think
> Netsaint will accomplish the latter, complete with pretty GUI.  Any
> ideas on the former?  I'm messing with Ethereal, seems to do a nice
> job at telling me what's out there at least.

You could try out OpenNMS, but it'd probably be overkill. Learn netsaint.
:)