iptraf is an interesting and accessable tool
(probably not as flexible as ethereal, but
worth looking at).

Probably the tons and tons of IPX broadcast
packets. :-(

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bob Tanner wrote:

> How big is your network :-)

500 clients, 15 servers, running a combo of IP/IPX

> Netsaint's conf file makes terrible. It makes sendmail.cf look like
"My first
> ABC books".

Awww crap.... :-)

> Installing netsaint is easy, configuration is the hard part.

Is there any cute tools for aiding the configuration like webmin or
anything?  Are the sample files "good enough" to get it working in
short
enough order to mess around with it?

I need a tool (or suite of tools, if need be) to monitor things.  For
one, I need to monitor the traffic and find out why our 100 Mbit
switched
network is SO FREAKING SLOW.  I also need a tool to monitor various
pieces
of networking hardware (servers, switches, routers, etc) so if a link
goes
down, we can troubleshoot it quickly.  I think Netsaint will
accomplish
the latter, complete with pretty GUI.  Any ideas on the former?  I'm
messing with Ethereal, seems to do a nice job at telling me what's out
there at least.

-Brian

Minnesota
http://www.mn-linux.org