Randy Clarksean writes:
 > I guess I was not worried about major improvements from kernel changes as
 > much as I was disappointed in the XP 2100+ delivering a nice speed up in
 > general.  As suggested by you and others, the kernel should NOT have make
 > that much difference.  I am just disappointed in overall CPU performance.
 >
 > Comments to other replies ...
 >
 > There is a lot of memory management.  The run takes around 450-500 MB of
 > RAM, and it is an iterative solution, which means things have to be operated
 > on a lot ... moving to and from the CPU.

Are you sure you've got RAM allocated statically in a good way (i.e.,
so that you are never reclaiming and reallocating memory)?

Should you be looking for compilation options that optimize your
user-mode code for Athlons instead of the kernel (I'm not sure what
this would be --- I don't know much about architectural differences)?