On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:10:07PM -0600, Randy Clarksean wrote:
> I guess I was not worried about major improvements from kernel changes as
> much as I was disappointed in the XP 2100+ delivering a nice speed up in
> general.  As suggested by you and others, the kernel should NOT have make
> that much difference.  I am just disappointed in overall CPU performance.

Why? If your code + data does not fit into the L2 cache, you are hauling
it over the same bus as a PIII. A chain is as strong as its weakest
link.

Unfortunately the answer for that right now is to get a Xeon...

> Comments to other replies ...
>
> There is a lot of memory management.  The run takes around 450-500 MB of
> RAM, and it is an iterative solution, which means things have to be operated
> on a lot ... moving to and from the CPU.

Exactly. Get a Xeon with dual channel DDR.

Cheers,
florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4