On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:22:25AM -0600, Justin Haaheim wrote:
> Hi.  I've got a linux question.
>
> I've got a gateway system (about a year old) running RedHat 8.  The
> machine has a SoundBlaster Live! Value card in it which has four ports
> on the back (Line in, Mic, Speaker output, Aux output).  On my gateway
> system (and with my digital boston speakers), the drivers/software
> allowed me to select the primary speaker output to be digital (and then
> I hooked my stereo up to the aux output which remained analog).  Now
> that I'm running linux, my aux output still works to my stereo, but I
> can't figure out how to tell my drivers to give digital output to my
> speakers through the main speaker out port.  If you guys can give any
> help, that would be greatly appreciated.

STFW. [1] is the first hit on google for
   linux sound blaster live digital

> I've actually got a second question.  I'm running Win XP and Redhat 8 on
> two separate hard drives (this is the same machine) and trying to dual
> boot.  As it is, i can boot into either by switching which hard drive
> the bios goes to in order to boot, but the GRUB booter doesn't work.
> The grub booter was configured during install, and the config file is
> consistent with information i've read on dual booting.  When i go to
> select windows to boot, it prints the commands that GRUB runs but then
> just sits there.  Could it be that, because both os's were installed
> with their respective hard drive being the main boot hard drive, that's
> why i can't dual boot?

Yes.

Let's assume your two harddrives are connected like this. If not, change
as appropriate:
   controller0:
      hdd0  -  windows
      hdd1  -  empty
   controller1:
      hdd0  -  linux
      hdd1  -  empty

The solution is:
   * boot linux
   * make a backup copy of /etc/fstab
      cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.good
   * make a working copy of /etc/fstab
      cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.new
   * update the entries in /etc/fstab.new by replacing all /dev/hdaX with
      /dev/hdcX. If there are no such references you might be lucky,
      because you are using mount by label.
   * boot linux with bash as your init program by putting this on
      the command line: "init=/bin/bash". If you don't know how to
      do this, send the /boot/grub/menu.lst to the list and I will
      help you. That file does not contain any sensitive information.
   * mount the root partition read-write
      mount -w -o remount /
   * copy the new fstab
      cp /etc/fstab.new /etc/fstab
   * mount the root partition read-only
      mount -r -o remount /
   * set the harddrive where you installed Windows as the first harddrive.
   * install grub on a floppy disk to have as backup
   * boot windows using floppy
   * boot linux using floppy
   * install grub on the harddrive

If this did frighten you, come to the next install fest.

Cheers,
florin

  1. http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/
--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4