IIRC, the kernel config file that comes with the kernel source RPM from
Redhat doesn't necessarily reflect the configuration of the default
pre-compiled kernel that Redhat installs on the system.

Therefore, just making one change to the kernel config may not turn on
everything that was enabled in the old pre-compiled kernel.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you turn NTFS back off and recompile,
and then compare sizes or md5sums between the newest kernel and the
original kernel, you'll find that they are not the same (probably, the
newest kernel would be smaller than the original pre-compiles kernel).

Jeff