often times in these situations I run X --configure (I *think* that is the
right syntax...could just be --config) and try starting X using the
XF86Config file it creates in your home directory.

if that does not work, you might to look at some other setup utilities
(XF86Setup, xf86config, et cetera) or maybe look at the man page or Howto
for the XF86Config file (this file is located in /etc/X11 on my Slackware
system, not sure about Mandrake)

LB