On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:05, Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:
>
> > That brings up another question. I've got postfix running at home for our
> > mail server, with squirrelmail running as the web mail server. I'm not
> > thrilled with it - it's slow, it's annoying, and it keeps dumping non-spam
> > into the spam folder no matter how hard I try.

I've not used the built-in filtering, that could be a real source of
slowness as it doesn't filter until you open a mailbox. You could use
procmail on the server itself to do the filtering and you'll most likely
notice a definite speed increase.

> squirrelmail? slow? you've gotta be kidding me...
>
> it was kinda slow back in the day when i was using mbox style mail
> directories, but once i moved to Maildir it was pretty fast.

Which makes sens as mbox is one large flat file as opposed to many small
files for Maildir. Maildir is far superior in many ways to mbox.

> email me off list, and i'll hook you up with an account on my squirrelmail
> install if you want to compare things.

Or he could create a new account on his own box, and not use the
built-in filtering as a comparison too. It's best to test making only
one small change at a time. You two could have vastly different setups
and he'll get a more accurate sense of where the speed problems lie by
systematically changing his own setup.

HTH