Hi everyone,

I've installed and used both RedHat 8.0 and Mandrake 9.0 in the last
week or so. Here are some initial impressions of both. Hopefully this
will be of some use to those who are trying to decide with distribution
to try.

Test system:
1 GHz Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM, Matrox G450 video card (dual head), Kingston
ethernet card (tulip chipset), CD-ROM, HP CD-RW (IDE), 20 GB IDE hard
disk, el cheapo onboard sound (AC97?), USB mouse, and two Optiquest V75
monitors (17").

RedHat 8.0
==========
Install via ftp and CD-ROM was flawless. Installing from CD used a very
nice GUI installer, while the ftp install used the older ncurses-based
text installer. Everything was auto-detected except my dual head video.
I poked around a bit, but never bothered to dig in and configure the X
config file to get it to work.

Once installed, the user interface is *great*! The font rendering is far
and away the best I have ever seen on a Linux desktop. The RedHat
engineers and designers have outdone themselves. Gnome is the default
(of course), but KDE is there too. The "bluecurve" theme really does a
nice job of creating a uniform interface between the Gnome and KDE
environments.

I think GCC 3.2 has really made a difference. All the apps seem faster
now.

Bottom line: A user new to Linux (but not new to computing) will have
very little trouble getting going with RedHat 8.0. Your grandmother (to
use the classic example) will have no more trouble with RedHat 8.0 than
she would have with Win XP.

Mandrake 9.0
============
The ftp install crashed on my, but I had no problem installing from CD.
I was blown away by Mandrake's auto-detection. I detected that I had a
dual head system and offered to set it up right away (with the option of
enabling Xinerama). You can install your printer during the install too
and it will even scan your LAN to find printers. You are presented with
a list of available printers and you can configure whichever ones you
want.

Mandrake uses KDE by default. I found a couple little problems. konsole
wouldn't run (KDE terminal emulation program) and their appear to be
some minor problems with the terminal settings. The look of things is
good, but not as nice as RedHat. I noticed that Mandrake used supermount
to mount the removable media. This is nice from a newbie perspective as
it eliminates the need to manually mount and unmount the disks.

Bottom line: Truly stellar auto-detection of hardware and an
out-of-the-box system that has a lot of nice touches that make Linux
easier to use for new users especially (e.g., supermount).

Summary
=======
There are a lot of similarities between these distros. Both use ext3 for
the filesystem, gcc 3.2, and include nearly identical software. Both
include software to keep your system up to date with security patches or
new versions of the software you've installed. Overall, I liked RedHat
8.0 better, especially if you're trying to get a new user going on
Linux. If RedHat had Mandrake's auto-detect capabilities, it would be no
contest.

Well that's my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth. YMMV. IANAL. Caveat
emptor. Don't shoot the messenger. :-)

I can elaborate on anything if someone has a question.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com