On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Chuck Cole wrote:

> I'm not interested either: for TCLUG or TCWUG to try to be known and active
> politically is almost legal suicide for these groups.

Ummm... why does this suddenly make us "politically active"?  What the
original poster suggests is finding out where politicians stand on all the
anti-tech BS that's being passed.  I don't see the problem with
that.  Even if one candidate came back saying he's writing a bill to
abolish the DMCA, that's not necessarily saying that he's the candiate I
should vote for.  Sure, it's kudos to him, but then you have to weigh that
against issues that you personally find important.  Some consider
schooling for their children more important than the DMCA.  Hey, vote for
whoever you want to.

Even if it became obvious which candidate should be considered the "geeks
choice", the LUG wouldn't stand up and endorse him.  Shoot, half of us
probably don't like the guy and we'd vote for the other guy in spite.

I don't think contacting each candidate for questioning by a
representative of the LUG makes us politically active, politically
aligned, or show any endorsement of any kind to anyone.

-Brian