On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:
> That brings up another question. I've got postfix running at home for our
> mail server, with squirrelmail running as the web mail server. I'm not
> thrilled with it - it's slow, it's annoying, and it keeps dumping non-spam
> into the spam folder no matter how hard I try.
>
> I've also got an issue with my server rejecting all mail from earthlink
> unless it's a reply, and I've checked with the sender of said mail, and
> the email address she's using is correct. I didn't have this issue before
> installing squirrelmail -

 Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how Squirrelmail could be
causing this.  Squirrelmail only shows you what's in your IMAP mailboxes.
It doesn't act as a local delivery agent/mail transport agent.  It's
essentially a mail client that runs on a web server.
 I haven't heard any complaints about it being slow, but maybe my users
are too scared of BOFH-ish retaliation to bring it up.  Annoying?  Sure.
What in particular that irks me about it is its dependence on cookies.  I
hacked an older version of Squirrelmail to not use cookies, but it
required so much modification that it's essentially impossible to
maintain, so that installation is sitting at a rather old version.  It
wasn't really worth the effort (but then, I barely know PHP).

> Anyone have any other good ideas for a webmail system? I was originally
> looking for something that I could eventually customize for the girls into
> something really fun for them - and squirrelmail was the only suggestion
> I'd been given at the time.

 Nope, not that I can endorse offhand.  Most of the other options when I
looked into this last year were too much of a pain to set up.  Maybe some
others have suggestions.

     Jima