On Sunday 06 October 2002 5:05 pm, Tim Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 06:43:32PM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a gradebook program with
> > a reasonably complete set of features that can import "Making the Grade"
> > files? Or, barring that, one that would work on both Mac (Classic) and
> > Linux?
>
> Unfortunately no. I try to stay pretty close to the Linux in education
> news and I have yet to find a gradebook application that has the
> features of any decent commercial product for Win32 or MacOS.

Just out of curiosity.. what are the specifiations of a "reasonably complete
set of features" needed in a gradebook application? I might be looking for an
internship/senior project soon, and depending on the difficulty of such a
task, I (or others in the program) might be willing to take on something like
this.  The biggest issue for me is not knowing what features get used or are
needed.

> I rather surprised that no open source developers have taken this task
> on and stayed with it. This is one of the most basic applications that
> teachers use and not having a decent one for Linux would definitely keep
> some teachers from giving Linux a try.
>
> I'm beginning to investigate an online gradebook from TIES, a local
> company that provides technology services and support for school
> district. Being online, it's possible that it will work fine with a
> Linux browser. It's certainly not free, however, since you need to be a
> TIES member to use it I think.

My High School used TIES for a lot of things, one of the things I think it
provided was the abilitiy to tie multiple gradebooks together for a school
(ie- submitting grades).  Is this, in general, a desiarable feature?

Jay