On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 20:15, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm sick of my really loud PC on my desk and I'm planning to buy a new
> case and power supply. I'm thinking about a black Al Lian-Li PC60 case
> (it'll go oh so nicely with my black SGI flatpanel :-), but I don't know
> much about the power supplies.
>
> PC Power & Cooling Inc. recommends their 275 W ulta-quiet model, but I'm
> a little concerned that it's underpowered. I don't have a lot of
> peripherals, however, so I may just be experiencing some Tim Allen style
> worries. Their 400 W model is almost 2.5x as expensive, however, so I
> doubt I'll got with that. What do you all think? The power supply specs
> are at
> http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/ultra_quiet/silencers/index_ultraquiet_atx.htm
>
> Any other PC quieting tips? I don't know what sort of fans the Lian-Li
> case might come with, but I'll consider going with different internal
> and CPU fans if it turns out that they are contributing significantly to
> the noise.

Slashdot just had this article on hard drive performance vs. noise and
heat the other day.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1540/

They really should have put their numbers on a logarithmic scale where
they measured noise level.  Note that a doubling of pressure will only
increase a reading by 2 or 3 dB (of course, if you ask a human to crank
a knob until something sounds twice as loud, it's generally more like 4
or 5 dB)

In my experience, hard drives and CPU fans tend to produce the most
noise in a system.  It's probably a good idea to only have one hard
drive in a system you want to be quiet.  You can look around for quiet
fans -- I think General Nanosystems sells some quiet CPU fans.  I've
also seen "maglev" fans online at places like Cyberguys which don't use
any traditional bearings, since the fan is magnetically held in place.
Not sure if they're all they're cracked up to be, though.

You might consider lining some of the inside of your computer with
sound-dampening material.

And my final suggestion: never, ever buy a Dell PowerEdge 2650 unless
you like to be tortured.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   What are you doing? The
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   message is over. GO AWAY!