Florin Iucha writes:
 > On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:46:52PM -0500, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
 > > Florin Iucha writes:
 > >  > On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:28:55PM -0500, Clay Fandre wrote:
 > >  > > No, steaming media was designed in a way that you can't just download
 > >  > > it. (AFAIK)
 > >  >
 > >  > The closed source client does not offer the opportunity to save it. And
 > >  > there is no open source/free software implementations because of patent
 > >  > issues.
 > >  >
 > >  > But there is nothing inherent in the technology that prevents the
 > >  > recording of a stream and playing it back later.
 > >
 > > So by this you mean having some application that traps the contents of
 > > the real player window and somehow saves it as (for example) mpeg?
 >                   ^^^^^^
 >                   stream
 > > Anyone know of such an application?  vsound does (a more sophisticated
 > > version of) this for sound alone, but these MIT lectures are real
 > > video.
 >
 > The BFI solution would be to record all the UDP traffic and replay it
 > later. It would be interesting to do as a hacking project.

[Cool!  New (to me) jargonym!

The Jargon file comes through:

BFI /B-F-I/ n.

See brute force and ignorance. Also encountered in the variants
`BFMI', `brute force and massive ignorance' and `BFBI' `brute force
and bloody ignorance'. In some parts of the U.S. this abbreviation was
probably reinforced by a company called Browning-Ferris Industries in
the waste-management business; a large BFI logo in white-on-blue could
be seen on the sides of garbage trucks.]

I'm not sure that the BFI solution would actually work.  To make it
work, the transaction protocol would have to be stateless enough that
the real player's interaction with the far end of the stream wouldn't
matter.  Not very likely, IMHO.

I think it would be easier to trap the contents of the realplayer
video window.  Not sure how to do that.  And you could grab the sound
with vsound.

Then the sound and the video would almost certainly get out of sync.
:-(

Oh, yeah.  Real player ALREADY lets them get out of sync.  And it
doesn't recover.  Feh.  We hates it, my precious.