On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Raymond Norton wrote:
> They all have different mail servers, 20 servers, on 20 different
> networks. All have to go through my gateway to get out to the
> Internet.

You'd want to set up a router to direct anything outbound on port 25 to
your local mail server, which would scan the messages for viruses, and
bounce it if it did contain viruses.

Getting the traffic to redirect is left as an exercise to you; if it's
Linux with iptables or Cisco, should be pretty easy.

As far as the mail server goes, I'd personally set up a Sendmail box with
Mimedefang. If you just want to scan for the most common viruses, you can
use clamd (free anti-virus); otherwise, I'd probably lean towards going
Sophos, because you can use Sophie to get daemonized scanning (IE, the
system doesn't launch a new instance of a virus scanner for each message;
it just connects to a socket on the local machine and tells the
already-running scanner 'scan this!').