A little bit of googling turned up the following:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xfree86-list/2002q3/000564.html

It appears XFree86 4.2.0 does not support the Intel i830/i845 chipset.
XFree86 4.3.0, to be released near the end of the year, will include 3D
support for this hardware.

If you simply can't wait that long for XFree86, you might want to check
out Xi Graphics.  Looks like they do currently offer support for i845:

http://www.xig.com/Pages/Atop/EmbeddedSupport/EmbeddedSummit.html

Joel

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:37:12PM -0700, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> You may remember me asking last week about a graphics problem with
> X-windows.  I have a dell dimension 2300 with an intel 845 chipset
> (integrated video).
<snip>

--
Joel Schneider              Jazz - jazz88fm.com
joel at joelschneider.net      ISEE - www.i-see.org