You may remember me asking last week about a graphics problem with X-windows.  I have a dell dimension 2300 with an intel 845 chipset (integrated video).  I was using mandrake, but tried red hat 8 to see if that worked any better.  it did work slightly better.  I can now get into X with an 800x600 resolution @ 256 colors.  This isn't acceptable of course, so i did some research on the internet.  According to several message boards (and intel's website [1]) the solution is to go into the bios under Advanced > Video Configuration > Frame Buffer Size and change it to 8mb since it defaults to 1mb.  Then supposedly it will work as it's supposed to.  My problem is that there is no 'video configuration' under the advance section of the bios settings.  So apparently i can't change the frame buffer size without a bios update.  So what are my other options?

As i've said several times already, i'm not a hardware expert, and i haven't been able to find the right answers on the internet.  My question is this:  if i've got integrated video on the motherboard, can I still go out and buy an alternate video card and use that instead?  Or am I stuck with the i845?  And if I can use a different video card, how do I tell it to use the new card instead of the integrated  video controller?  do I need to?

Thanks,
Jonathon

[1] http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/linux.htm