Makefiles are NOT that difficult.  It's the way some people have ab/used
them.  I've even seen someone using make as a macro pre-processor...
After I got up off the floor from laughing, I realized he was serious.

It boils down to a list of targets, and what is needed to generate
them.  You add in some macro processing so you don't have to code a
compile step for EVERYTHING, and if your lazy, you add a little code to
figure out what sort of a system your on and who your building the code
for.

I'd be glad to help anyone out with some make tutoring.  But first, I
recommend RTFM.  There is some excellent make documents on the network.