Cross compiling LFS can be a real chicken and egg problem.  The key point
is where you 'chroot' to you $LFS directory to force the remainder of the
build process to use your new C libraries.

Since all of your machines are intel based(Pentiums), I don't think that
you should have any problems building all your stuff on the fast machine
and copying it over to your router.

I will guess that the major hardware differences in you machines is in the
networking arena, which should be totally and issue of configuring the
kernel.  So, once you get LFS totally up and running on your fast machine
and then copy everything over, the only thing you may need to do is go
back and fiddle with the kernel options and re-compile.

In my case, I got LFS running by following the directions once, but find
myself re-compiling the kernel periodically as new networking, scsi and
other hardware features are updated.

The nice thing about doing LFS is that compiling Open Source Software from
scratch becomes second nature, and you can truly leverage all the benefits
of cutting edge OSS.

Of course all this customization and freedom comes at the cost of a lot of
work, and the difficulty of trying to use software from off the shelf
distos.  I personally am happy with the time I spent.

Fred

Jay Kline <list at slushpupie.com>
Sent by: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
05/28/02 10:25 AM