On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 12:32:55PM -0500, Jon Schewe (jpschewe at mtu.net) wrote:
> I've noticed lately that when I make changes to my crontab I have to
> edit a copy of the file and install it without using an editor.  If I do
> crontab -e, make my changes, exit my editor (vi), crontab says there's
> no changes and doesn't install the crontab.  Instead I end up saving the
> file to my home directory and then doing 'crontab filename' and then it
> gets installed.  Anyone have any clues?

I had this problem on a box before.  I could see the tmp file being
created in /tmp but then it wouldn't write it out to the
actual cron file (/var/spool/cron/root).

The problem was that /tmp was symlinked to /var/tmp.  Once I put /tmp
back, it worked fine.  So, I assume it wasn't able to follow the
symlinks.

You may also want to check that you haven't run out of space in /tmp
--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com