On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 12:32:55PM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> I've noticed lately that when I make changes to my crontab I have to
> edit a copy of the file and install it without using an editor.  If I do
> crontab -e, make my changes, exit my editor (vi), crontab says there's
> no changes and doesn't install the crontab.  Instead I end up saving the
> file to my home directory and then doing 'crontab filename' and then it
> gets installed.  Anyone have any clues?

Possibly unrelated, but Debian had a bug with those symptoms a while
back.  The problem was that vi was exiting with a status of 1 (don't
ask why...), causing crobtab to believe that there was an error in
the editor and that the file was likely to be incorrect.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss