On Tuesday 28 May 2002 9:51 am, destr0 wrote:
> >If you get stuck with something, let me know.
> >
> >fred
>
> This  email is for fred or anyone else who might be able to point me in the
> right direction.  After reading this thread I decided to put together LFS
> for my router.   It's a 200mghz pentium with 128 mgs ram My problem is
> compiling everything from source on this machine.  It is so slow it's
> almost painful.  While I was watching an hour tick by compiling gcc, I kept
> looking at my 900mghz p3 laptop, and my dual  900mghz p3 server and
> wondering how I would go about compiling the apps on one of those machines,
> while targeting them to run on my routers architecture.
>
> So basically, can anyone point me in the direction of how to do this?

most apps you should be able to just compile and move. I would do a "configure
-> make -> tar" move the whole thing to the router, and then to a "make
install".  This will insure things get put in the propper place for you, but
still gain the speed of the laptop.  Compiling some apps will have some
optimizations for the Pentiums and beyond (such as the kernel and compilers)
if you can tell it not to use those when compiling, it should be ok (I think
the gcc flag is -M386 or -M486 for 386/486 but I would look it up in the man
page)  I have never done it this way, so I may be wrong about this.

Also, when compiling the kernel, it takes whatever the root device of the
system its compiled on, you need to use rdev if you have a different setup to
modify the compiled kernel.

Jay