I am running LFS at home.  I pulled it together while running Mandrake.
The LFS instructions are great, but stop once you get the kernel,
libraries and basic utilities set up.  There are plans to extend
LFS(Beyond LFS).

After gettnig basic LFS running, I got apps which would allow me to be
functional in text mode:  lynx for browsing, mutt for e-mail, ftp, telnet,
ssh, cdplayer...etc

Then I got X working, using ICEWM for the window manager.  Then I started
pulling down all the GNOME libraries off www.gnome.org.  GNOME was the
most difficult to get working.  I compiled all their major apps, calendar,
address book, email(balsa), spreadsheet(gnumeric).

For web browsing, nothing beats Mozilla.  I downloaded this and compiled
it from source.

I also got OpenOffice working from the binaries.  My brother saw my LFS
box the other day and commented that it could do everything a M$Win
desktop could do with .xls, .doc, and .ppt files.  My wife can use the LFS
box for e-mail, surfing, balancing the checkbook and writing letters.

I went with LFS because besides being interested in Linux, I am very
interested in open source software(OSS).  To get the most out of OSS, you
have to be able to compile the newet sources from scratch.  Almost all
distros are 6 months behind the latest OSS on the internet, and sometimes
have no plan on catching up.  Sometimes, so many libraries must be
upgraded to get the latest OSS to work that it totally breaks a
pre-packaged distro.

Doing LFS gives you freedom but takes time.  I put in about 2 weeks of
work to get my LFS box where it is today, and I have been using Linux
since 1992.

If you get stuck with something, let me know.

fred

Lorry <alcyone at slava.net>
Sent by: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
05/26/02 09:11 PM