Matt Waters wrote:
> My primary goal with Linux is to learn as much as I can about computers with it, so please keep that in mind when you make a recommendation.

If you want to learn, I'd recommend Slackware.  The installer is very
basic and it doesn't just configure everything automatically when you
install it (X, sound, etc.).  You'll gain experience by compiling your
own kernel for sound support, setting up X manually, etc.  Slackware was
my first distro and I learned alot.  Years ago I had a 1.x kernel that
didn't have IDE cdrom support by default.  I patched and built a new
kernel and managed to get the cdrom working.  An excellent learning
process.

One of the other advantages it has is that sooner or later you end up
compiling lots of software from source.  No package management is ever
perfect or totally up to date.  If you want to keep your system current
(and you should for security) building from source is the safest
method.  Besides you learn alot in the process.

I spose if you really wanted to learn, take current hardware and try to
put and old distro on it and work through upgrading software to get
everything working.

> BTW, does TCLUG still have bi-weekly beermeetings?
yes, I'm not sure who is heading them up; check the website:
http://www.mn-linux.org/beermeeting/