I know that what I am about to write is probably going to start a distro-jihad, so I profusely apologize for it preemptively. If you really get that pissed off about it, I'll give you a bottle of Beck's the next time you're in Lakeville =)

Anyway, I seem to be becoming drawn to Linux more and more, as I've learned about as much about computers as I can with Windows; therefore the next logical step would be to migrate to Linux.

I've had experience running red hat and suse in the past, although I'm still very much a newbie. Anyway, SuSE 7.1 was the first distro I ever got to work correctly on my comp (This might have something to do with the fact that I had just replaced my WinModem with a real modem =) ). I have someone on the list currently burning me a copy of SuSE 8.0 professional. I love YaST, as it makes a lot of configuration tasks simple to manage. I've heard, however, that the .conf files genenrated by YaST can really only be properly modified in YaST (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I've also heard nothing but good things about Debian's apt-get, and I used to talk to Linux gods on IRC who swore by Debian, saying it was one of the most capable and least sugar-coated distros out there (This being important because the whole point of me wanting to use Linux is to improve my knowledge of computers). I also have a hacker friend who loves Slackware, saying it's the most UNIX like (This dude is a HUGE BSD freak, BTW)

Anyway, since most of you probably have more experience with the various distros, perhaps some of you would be willing to share some of your experiences with me? (Once again, I apologize if I start a distro-jihad or if I sound like a dumbass) My primary goal with Linux is to learn as much as I can about computers with it, so please keep that in mind when you make a recommendation.

BTW, does TCLUG still have bi-weekly beermeetings?

Anyway, thank you all for reading this. I look forward to your replys.

Pizza of Hut's Infinite Wisdom #18: "Firecrackers,
gasoline, and bored youth do not mix."

New wisdom every week!