i've yet to find a good reason to rip out os x.  i made the conversion
to an iBook and OSX back in february from a linux/win2k.  linux
because i needed a decent java platform and a packet sniffer as well
as mutt, procmail and fetchmail. ideally i'd be able to get that in
freebsd but the java support was a bit lacking.

the win2k provided the office suite which i need.  forget (star|open)office,
it's simply not up to the task of the writing work that i need to do.
villify MS as much as you want, the office suite rocks.

os x provides all of the above.  hell they ship with fetchmail and
procmail available by *default*.  the terminal leaves a little to be
desired and pretty much anything that you need to build from a unix
perspective is available.

i spend all day in terminal and pretty much the only graphical
application that i run is mozilla and the office applications.  a
cocoa version of vim just came out a little while back and i'm in
heaven.

if you're in the market for a laptop with pretty much everything
integrated and you need good productivity apps.  give the apples a
serious look.

the list of sites that kevin listed below is an excellent starting
point for getting unix apps for os x.  i'd also recommend tracking the
stuff at developer.apple.com and www.darwin.org (which is really
devleoper.apple.com/darwin) there's some seriously innovative stuff
happening here.

as a further aside - apple has demonstrated considerable clue in
dealing with the open source community and aside from sun is the only
company actively developing unix.

when last we saw our hero (Saturday, May 25, 2002),
 Kevin Bullock was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC