Okay, okay, so I'll pipe in :) I have found absolutely no reason to run
linux on my mac. Here's some sites to get you started:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/
http://www.osxgnu.org/
http://wrench.et.ic.ac.uk/adrian/software/oroborosx/

Now in all actuality, I don't use the command line for much. There's
well-designed GUI tools (e.g. Network Utility). But it's there when I do
need it :)

The things I had to do to move my workflow from Linux to OS X involved a
couple things:
- Getting GNUCash working, since that's where all my data is.
- Moving my web development environment (apache, mysql, php) moved over.
The first one was the hard part, since GNUCash requires GNOME. But with
a little help from #fink on openprojects, I did it. The second was easy
— 'fink install mysql', then found a little package to make it start on
boot. Done.

Of course, everyone's usage, needs, workflow, etc. vary. But this is the
real beauty of free software: you have the source, so you can recompile
on something other than Linux. It may very well be easier to recompile
than to try to partition, reinstall two OS's, then install the apps you
need.

If you have troubles getting the stuff you need running on OS X, feel
free to e-mail me.

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 10:37 , Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 10:57, Terry Houle wrote:
>> Am considering trying to put a dual boot on an  Apple iBook that I
>> recently
>> purchased and it is running OS X..
>
> Personally, if I had an iBook I'd just stick with OSX, and get all the
> goodies like rootless Xserver, fink, and other good stuff. All the
> goodness of Linux and OSX (more or less)
>
> Works very well for my friend with a tibook.
>
> *pokes Kevin* chime in if you still read this list.

Pacem in terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock