> I think of PAT as NAT *plus* the extra port forwarding stuff.
>  And the 675 does both PAT and NAT, at least as I understand
> it (it's what I'm using).

NAT is considered to be a 1 to 1 translation on the IP, for example,
206.144.233.6 -> 192.168.99.2 and 206.144.233.8 -> 192.168.99.3.  NAT only
looks at the IP when doing a translation, and ignores any port information.

PAT is many internal IP's to one public.  For example, 206.144.233.6:36784
-> 192.168.99.2:3452 and 206.144.233.6:38992 -> 192.168.99.3:8833.  PAT
stands for Port Address Translation, and basically goes a little farther
than NAT by looking at the port in addition to the ip, and making a
translation table which can map a particular port on the outside to an
inside ip and port on the inside, different ports can be mapped to different
ip/port pairs on the inside.

In many situations though, PAT is actually referred to as NAT, as NAT seems
to be a more general term which encompasses anything where the ip is changed
on packets passing through a device.  PAT is great for saving IP space, but
has issues with passing portless protocols correctly, like GRE.  Since GRE
has no port, no port mapping can be set up in the translation table.  Some
vendors have made additions to PAT to keep track of conversations like this
in a different way so it can map incoming traffic to the correct host.

Jay