In bridge mode, the DSL modem is just that, a modem.  Your Linux front
end appears right on the network.  No Nat, Firewall, etc.  Those
functions are handled by Linux (masquerading=NAT).  It also eliminates
the address translation problems that hinder VPN.  I use to have
MNinter.net, but they forced me (without prior notice) to switch to
router mode which broke our VPN after 2 weeks of arguing with them I
switched.  I've got isd.net and everything works great (in bridge
mode).  The folks at SSM were very Linux friendly.  Unfortunately, Isd
is under new management now.  All the tech staff got laid off and they
do support from Duluth.  not sure I'd recommend them to new users. Heard
from a friend of a friend that a lot of the tech staff started a new
ISP, ssmnet.net.

I'm sure real-time is good too, based on what I've heard here.