On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:19:09PM -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy (poptix at techmonkeys.org) wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:40:28AM -0500, Amy Tanner wrote:
> > Anyone ever see this error when removing a package?
> >
> > error: cannot open Sigmd5 index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
> > error: cannot open Filemd5s index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
> >
> > I saw it for the first time on a box today when doing an apt-get remove.
> > I suspect I'd get the same result doing an rpm -e.  Note, the package
> > did get removed despite the error.
>
> That's not good, it means that /var/lib/rpm is missing the above mentioned
> files. If there's not a reason for something like this to have happened
> (fsck, manual deletion..) you might check and see if the system has been
> broken into.

Actually this happened on a few other boxes today and only when I did an
apt-get remove galeon.  To test, I then did an apt-get install galeon
and then an apt-get remove galeon again and did not get the error.  And
subsequent installs of packages did not result in any errors.

If those files really didn't exist, wouldn't I get those errors every
time I installed or removed a package?  Do you know where these files
live so I can look for them?

--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com