On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:51:57PM -0500, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> On 14 May 2002 21:38:33 -0500
> Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> > you might also want to compile your kernel
> > to `make CPU idle calls when idle' (I think there's a kernel boot option
> > for doing that as well)

I'm pretty sure that this is the default...

> I'm not sure what
> 90% of the options are they ask, that's why I did the oldconfig option.

(Please wrap your text.)

If you used oldconfig on your first kernel compile, I'm not surprised
it didn't work.  oldconfig looks at your previous .config and only
asks about new options offered in the version you're currently
building.  If you don't have a previous .config for it to look at, I
would expect it to, at best, fall back to a standard 'make config',
which gains you nothing.  At worst, it could show you some config
options and not others, in which case I would expect your problems to
be that some of the answers it assumed on questions it didn't ask
were just plain wrong.

Try a 'make menuconfig' and make frequent use of the '?' key to get
help on what the options mean.  (Yeah, a lot of them don't have
useful documentation on the help screen, but a lot of them do, too.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss