On 14 May 2002 21:38:33 -0500
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> Do you have a big heatsink?  Do you have your fans properly mounted to
> both bring air in and out?  Are there big enough holes on the case?

As to the heatsink, I have whatever one they gave me at General Nanosystems.  I've thought about getting a larger one.  Fans are out currently, but I'm putting them back in shortly.  Yes, I had the front one pulling cooling air in down low.  While the rear pushed the hot air out just below the power supply.  I also have a slot cooler mounted chip side of my video card, which is a GF2 with it's own cooling fan mounted on it as well.  Holes are on the side, front (metal cage only ) and back.  But, the front has little to no air air slots in front except for that tiny hole at the bottom underside of the front panel.  I've thought about using my RotoZip and cutting slots in the front panel for more air flow.  I've thought about a cool Tux picture or something that I can cut in.  Maybe put some LED's in behind to make it stand out more as well.  Again, finances....

> You might want to look into using special processor commands to tell the
> chip to go idle when it's not doing anything.  The `lvcool' command
> (Google for it) can help, and you might also want to compile your kernel
> to `make CPU idle calls when idle' (I think there's a kernel boot option
> for doing that as well)

I'll look into this.  Unfortunately, my last attempt at trying to compile a Linux kernel (Slack 2.4.5 to 2.4.18) resulted in a botched job that didn't load my network cards and I lost my X-settings among other things.  Haven't tried again.  Oh, and yes I did follow the Kernel How-to.  I did the make oldconfig, then modules and make modules or whatever it is.  Resulted in having to blow the box away and reloading.  Haven't tried again.  Maybe one of these days I'll get online with the TC-Lug channel and go through a live kernel compile.  I'm not sure what 90% of the options are they ask, that's why I did the oldconfig option.

Thanks,

Shawn