Hi everyone,

I've been thinking more about open source/free software in education and
educational technology and I wanted to share an idea. I'm the kind of
person who likes to think big. Please read this and give your feedback.

I'm a strong believer in open source and I want to see open source
software used in schools. And not just on the Web server. I've actively
promoted Open Office, for example, and our head tech guy is now running
it on his workstation and is considering it instead of paying $50k to
upgrade all our MS Office licenses. The challenge we're facing is much
larger than just open source vs. proprietary software. I want to stress
that the question is not whether technology has a place in education,
there's too much momentum to stop it at this point even if you wanted
to and I believe there are some key advantages despite the huge cost to
schools. The key question is how to use technology to actually improve
learning in schools. This is a very different question, and if you recall
my previous post I suggested that training of staff and students was a
key part.

I serve on our district's technology committee and I've been struck by
how little the technology folks and curriculum folks understand each
other. They are speaking different languages. This is my key point: the
technologists don't know what the educators need and the educators don't
know what to ask the technologists for. It seems to me that if we're
going to make a real difference, then we have to have some
communication.

So imagine this:

An Open Source In Education Summit. We organize a meeting of
technologists and educators to see what can be done to bridge the gap.
We invite open source companies like Codeweavers, Real Time, RedHat
(they've got a new education initiative, see
http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html),
Sistina, and who ever else that would like to participate. We also
invite open source advocates who are willing to volunteer to support
open source in schools. Then we invite school principals, school board
members, technology directors, school librarians, and teachers to come
and let them know what open source has to offer.

You could easily have a day-long event. I'm envisioning some panel
discussions talking about educational technology issues and open source.
We could offer some tutorial-like sessions presented by open source
experts and attended by the school folks to give them an idea of open
source can do. The companies in attendance would benefit from the
feedback of educators. I'm just getting started here...

I've just started back to graduate school this year as a Ph.D. student
in education. My major is Instructional Systems and Technology.
(http://www.coled.umn.edu/fields/IST_FMD.htm) Perhaps the U. of MN would
be interested in being a sponsor? Maybe they would be able to provide
space to hold the event?

A lot can be accomplished by individuals working with one school at a
time. But there's also a big place for attention-getting,
awareness-raising events that let people know that open source is for
real and has every right to be in schools.

So who's with me? :-) Let's talk about whether we should do this and, if
so, how we should do this. I hereby volunteer do whatever I can to make
this happen.

Talk amongst yourselves. :-)

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com