Ok, this is for the old schoolers-

This week has been a rough ride for one of my servers, a 486 box running
Sendmail and Apache.  It wasn't the speediest thing on the planet, but it
did its job, serving e-mail to its 20 users and hosting some low traffic
web sites.  I decided to move the box to another location, to share a KVM
for administrative purposes.  Ever since then, the server has been
crawling.  VERRRRRRY slowly.  SSH works for about 6 hours after the server
is booted, and then it just can't keep up.  SSH, Sendmail, and Apache stop
accepting connections.  Reboot the server (took 1/2 hour total) and I'd
get another 6 hours of use.  It was pathetic.  I thought maybe I had been
rooted, and some processes were consuming all my CPU cycles and of course
hidden by a trojaned ps.  Well, I've got another box, maybe it's time to
move the drive.

As I waited for the server to accept its final Ctrl-Alt-Del, I decided an
fsck on the new box was a lot faster than a proper shutdown on the
old.  So I hit the power button.  Oh, wait, that's the turbo.... ?????

I pressed the turbo button, the turbo light came on, and my server
sprang back to life.  A whole week of head scratching and it came down to
this: when I moved the server, I bumped the turbo button.  Apparently this
button turns a 486 into an 8086.

So I ask, where did the turbo button come from and what is its intended
purpose?

-Brian