"Joshua b. Jore" <josh at greentechnologist.org> writes:

> > There is an alternative I've heard of that is done by the author of Qmail.
> > Cant think of the name right now, but since I know qmail and this ver of
> > bind are 2 of Scot Jenkins' favorites, maybe he knows and will
> > post. <duck>
> >
> > Mike Jentges
>
> You're talking about djbdns. People thing Dan's software works very well,
> that it's coded to be particularly unmaintainable, his license is
> particularly poor and he's supposed to be a pain to deal with.

The coding doesn't use the standard c library, but that's also where a
lot of the robustness comes from.  I've been the qmail source enough
to say it's not any worse than most other c code out there, and much
better than most perl (even mine) for maintainability.

And I haven't had to deal with him while using his software :-).
There's a good qmail group, and I know there's a djbdns group, I
suspect it's got lots of helpful people in it too.  But I'm not
running his dns yet, so I don't know.

> For most people it just comes down to whether you can tolerate his
> license. It's supposed to be something like source-under-glass. Hey, that
> sounds like Microsoft!

I've actually heard very few people where the license was the issue.
(Or the lack of one).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net