On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 07:59:32AM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:

> Could you talk a little about the whole installation?  How long did it take
> from start-of-installation to getting-real-work done?  There's a lot that
> seems attractive about it, and frankly, I'd love to play with it, but while I
> might be able to spare a day or two -- which is about what it took for me to
> get Mandrake back up-and-running after I made the mistake of trying to update
> to KDE3 and broke things really badly.

Assuming you've got a fat pipe and the downloading isn't the rate
limiting step (I'm a chem major :-), then the total install time should
be about 24 h on a decent workstation.

I've got a 1 GHz Athlon with 512 MB RAM. I started an install at about
7:00 a.m. one day and had a basic working system by 4:00 p.m. I started
installing KDE3 (which also pulls in X) before I left work that day and
it was done the next morning.

The initial work setting up partitions, formatting them, blah blah blah
will probably take an hour or so your first time through. Once I got it
going, I just checked on it between classes that first day to keep it
moving through the various stages.

The install documentation is excellent. I happened to be doing an
install just like the one documented (/boot and / partitions with XFS on
/) so it was quite easy. I would say anyone with moderate knowledge of
Linux won't have trouble.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com