On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:08:16PM -0500, John Joseph Trammell wrote:

> Ditto -- seems like the first problem lies in finding a school
> district that wants our help.  The only person I can think of
> on this list is Tim Wilson.  Tim, any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to throw in my $0.02 on this.

Do schools need help with technology? Absolutely, but there is an
important distinction to be made. You have to ask whether the school
needs help with infrastructure or with actually using technology.

Obviously I'm most familiar with Sibley, but my sense is that most
public schools have decent infrastructure. Every room in my district is
wired with an Internet connection (our WAN will be upgraded to gigabit
fiber this summer and we'll get connected to the I-net), but we do have a
shortage of workstations for teachers to use. Our student to computer
ratio at the high school is probably about 12:1. Most districts are
shooting for something like 5:1.

School districts are coming to realize that there is no way to keep up
anymore. Some districts have passed technology bonds, but it's pretty
crazy to borrow money for 20 years to buy machines that will be unusable
in 5 years. (Yes, I know that 5-year-old machines aren't really
unusable, but after 5 years of use by students the machines are really
beat up and they become quite a burden to support.) We have
approximately 1,500 workstations and 15-20 servers in the district with
4 techs including the guy in charge who doesn't do much direct tech
support anymore. Naturally, lots of our library staff and other tech
savvy teachers do informal tech support all the time.

The really important question, beyond a simple computer:student ratio,
is whether or not technology is being integrated into the curriculum and
making learning better for students. Larry Cuban, a Stanford University
professor, wrote a pretty stinging critique of how technology is used in
schools [1]. He found that although teachers are not particularly
technophobic (they are frequent technology users at home), technology
has not made a difference in their work. Interestingly, he compares this
result to two other professions, medicine and engineering, and finds
similar results. In other words, despite the wide availability of
technology that *could* make a real difference, doctors are treating
patients in pretty much the same way they always have. Cuban falls just
short of calling for a moritorium on computer purchases for schools.

So if computers are available and teachers aren't afraid to use them,
why haven't they made much of a difference in schools? The bottom line
is training. Teaching with technology is very different from the sort of
education most of us on this list received. I'm talking about a
pervasive use of technology here, not just offering more programming
classes. We all know that there's a big difference between using
technology to accomplish a particular task (think word processing) and
being a technology expert that is able to use the technology tools to
solve complex problems creatively.

A group from NCREL suggests the following stages of technology use:

* print automation (essentially doing on a computer what could be
accomplished in essentially the same way on paper)
* expansion of learning opportunities (making a Web page instead of
writing a paper, or example)
* data-driven virtual learning (more real-world focus, doing things that
would be impossible without the technology) [2]

The *vast* majority of technology use currently is in phase 1. This is
why technology hasn't made much of a difference yet. (Is doing research
for a paper on the Web *really* all that different from the old way of
doing it?) The key to moving to stages 2 and 3 is training. In other
words, infrastructure is necessary, but not sufficient if the real goal
is improved learning.

So what can a bunch of geeks do about it?

1. Help with infrastructure if that's what's needed. Find out who's in
charge of technology in a particular district and find out what they
need. Maybe you've got some expertise they could use.

2. Volunteer to provide after-school technology training for the
teachers. Get in contact with the building principals and/or district
staff development folks to find out what's needed.

3. Enter into a mentor relationship with a teacher or student.

These are just off the top of my head, there are certainly more.

You might also want to look at the Seul-edu[3], Schoolforge[4], and
Open Source Schools[5] Web page.

I'd be happy to continue any discussions on this topic. Obviously, it's
something that's important to me.