> There needs to be a firm that supports these boxen, and that firm
> needs to be big, so that the bank folks believe it will continue to
> exist.  Red Hat might only BARELY qualify, and I don't believe they're
> in this market (which is a hardware/software market; supplying
> software only would not be enough).

Caldera might be a contender for this with thier accquistion of SCO which
has been a good seller in the banking industry in the past. In my opion, I
don't think Red Hat could do it simply because of the stigma it has as being
a hobiest OS and its passive cororate business model record. Caldera, on the
other hand, has had a very good corporate business model record (thats the
main reason they discontinued thier partnership from Red Hat in the first
place) and has moved thier OS line into position to take full advantage of
this market and other markets that Red Hat up until recently has ignored.

> Red Hat might only BARELY qualify, and I don't believe they're
> in this market (which is a hardware/software market; supplying
> software only would not be enough).

I'm not sure i agree with this totally - Banks and other highly regulated
businesses use Consultants that supply services for hardware and support the
software (mostly for liability reasons).

>Um...  You may want to rethink that statement:

I didn't mean to say that OpenSource wasn't making progress. I relize that
there are some movment towards OpenSource but its only a small percentage of
the total industry install base.

Carl Lindgren
C. R. Lindgren Consulting
Minneapolis, MN