Phone: 612-547-7573
Fax:    612-547-7580
Mail Stop: T23
MailTo:john.miller at rbcdain.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Troy.A Johnson [mailto:troy.johnson at HEALTH.STATE.MN.US]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 1:20 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: RE: [TCLUG] printing problems and a ping problem

John,

Find the 'smbd' executable and run it like this:

   ./smbd -V

and that should  give you the exact
Samba version.

It sounds like you might have a TCP/IP
issue. What is the output of this
command:

   ifconfig eth0

and what are the contents of the file:

   /etc/dhcpd.conf

This is 'off the cuff', so if you don't find the
exact file, look for something close. What
am looking for is a mistaken netmask or
something similar.

It could still be an ipchains issue too, as
someone has suggested, despite what
'smb.conf' has to say about it (ipchains is
a kernel module and so touches all net
traffic before servers get a chance to
allow or deny anything), so the output
of:

   ipchains -L

would be most helpful also.

Good luck,

Troy

>>> John.Miller at rbcdain.com 05/02/02 12:09PM >>>
I installed SAMBA usign apt.  According to the man page for samba, the page is current for version 2.2.  and hosts does have a list of the ip of the computers.
DHCP assigns the same ip to each computer on reboot so it is almost like have a static ip.  I have smb.conf line that states to allow 192.168.0