On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 04:18:37PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting Robert P. Goldman (goldman at htc.honeywell.com):
> > Thanks to Joel and Steve for suggesting this, but my problem is that
> > these folks already are happily using whatever MS-thingie is in
> > Outlook, and are not excited to try to figure out PGP/GPG and give up
> > their existing practice just for my benefit.  So I'm hoping there's
> > some linux-y solution to encrypting and decrypting messages that will
> > be readable (writeable) by Outlook w/o any plugins.
>
> If outlook is really using DES, do the users have to enter a pass-phrase to
> decrypt the mail?

Nope!  You do have to enter a pass-phrase to create the certificate in
the first place - I haven't seen any indication of having to re-enter
the passphrase anywhere.  I'll bet I have to if/when I renew the
certificate.

> DES is symmetric keys right? That would mean the private key is
> somewhere on the Windows box so they can decrypt the mail. Steal the
> private key and you don't have a secure connection.

Actually, the private key is stored on the Exchange server - at least
in the environment for the people I'm setting up.  It's stored in your
Contacts - which will either be in a PST on a local drive, or on the
Exchange server.  If it's on the server, it's as secure as your
Windows login.

> Given Windows security, key theft would not be all that hard.

_I_ know that.  However, it's better than nothing.

We're currently undergoing a ... security initiative
at work.  It's being PHB time.

> I know this doesn't answer your question, but this is why people use GPG.

{grin}

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org