Quoting Robert P. Goldman (goldman at htc.honeywell.com):
> Thanks to Joel and Steve for suggesting this, but my problem is that
> these folks already are happily using whatever MS-thingie is in
> Outlook, and are not excited to try to figure out PGP/GPG and give up
> their existing practice just for my benefit.  So I'm hoping there's
> some linux-y solution to encrypting and decrypting messages that will
> be readable (writeable) by Outlook w/o any plugins.

If outlook is really using DES, do the users have to enter a pass-phrase to
decrypt the mail?

DES is symmetric keys right? That would mean the private key is somewhere on the
Windows box so they can decrypt the mail. Steal the private key and you don't
have a secure connection.

Given Windows security, key theft would not be all that hard.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but this is why people use GPG.
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500