----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Storie" <sstorie at d.umn.edu>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 6:14 PM
Subject: [TCLUG] Buying a linux friendly laptop....

> I am in the market for a laptop and these days I am using Linux (Debian)
> as my primary OS. I asked a friend about this and he suggested pay
> special attention to the hardware when considering linux, because it's
> much more difficult to make changes after the fact. He suggested the IBM
> T series, but I think that might be out of my budget. I'm looking for
> any advice, particular vendors you like/don't like, or even things to
> watch out for, when considering a laptop for linux use.
>
> -Sam

I bought a Toshiba satellite 2805 - S503 wich runs great, the only problem
I've had with it is that the cdrom drive stopped readding media reliably.
It doesn't like to read burnt cd's.  It just started happening out of the
blue like 4 months after I bought it.  You can hear it spin up and down
reapetdly all the time.  The next time I buy it will probably be a Dell
Inspirion <= 8100