On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:44:21 -0600
Rodd Ahrenstorff <rahrenstorff at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone is using the new CrossOver Office plugin?  Positive or
> negative results with this product?
>
> I must say congrats to CodeWeavers...keep up the good work!

  I guess I'm a little confused on some of this.  Here's the ramblings in the brain:

  I understand that MS has a foothold on much of the business world in terms of Office programs as well as desktops and what I'd call "low end" servers, meaning no big powerhouses like Unix/AS400/etc.  As well as them continually coming up with whatever else the have in programs.  NOt to mention a lot of really good games being built for Windows, unfortunately not for Linux.

  But, here's what I can't figure out.  If the alternative is to get away from Windows, or MS entirely, to save money or the like I don't see this as the answer.  Pardon if I'm wrong, but my understanding on these programs like Wine, VMWare, Win4Lin, and such is that you still must legally own a licensed version of the software.  For the Office plug-in, you must own MS' Office.

  So, now you have additional costs:  1) Being the cost of the original program; 2) the cost of the plug-in/app to run said original Win program; 3) Possibly needing to run both the apps and the OS under whatever method; and finally 4) A system powerful enough to run all this.

  I don't see how this could possibly benefit Linux overall.  Yes, there's "compatibility" with Windows software and being able to run Windows on Linux.  But I also see this as almost a band-aid covering a portion of a gash the length of an arm.  Would a major corporation say yes to all of these additional costs instead of just running Windows and it's native apps as originally designed instead of in an emulator or virtual server?  Most likely not.  I know I'd get some "You've got to be kidding" looks from management if I approached them with that.

  I'd rather see development being pushed towards a new app that is compatible than "being able to run XXX for windows on Linux."  Linux still needs the "killer app" IMO.  Yes, it's come a long way in a short time.  Yes, I prefer Linux over Windows now.  No, I'm not a Linux elitist (yet).  I just feel that instead of trying to run Windows apps on a Linux box, more development needs to be placed in a compatible app or an entirely new "killer app" to replace the version designed to run on Windows.

  In a way, I see it as being a cheap way out of designing software.  However, I will also say that in certain cases such plugins/emulators do have their certain places. Oh, and before someone says "code it yourself," I would if I knew how.  I can barely write system scripts unfortunately.

  Anyone else feel like me or am I the only one?

Shawn