On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> My bad 3com (IIRC) 3c905b experience:
>
> The damn thing refused to talk to my 10/100 switch (I don't recall
> the switch's mfg and it's at home, I'm not) using the stock Linux

seems to me like a linkspeed/duplex issue

> drivers and, after searching high and low, I could only turn up 905c
> drivers from 3com - not that it would've helped anyhow, because ISTR

iirc drivers for most 3com nics were in the kernel since at least
the 2.0 series, i highly doubt you will find many bugs in these drivers

> that it didn't work with the Windows drivers either.  The only way I
> could get it to work was to plug the 3c905b into a 10Mbps hub and

at this point i would say: bad nic

> uplink the hub into the 10/100 switch.  My best guess on why it
> didn't work was that the card was insisting on 100t4, while the
> switch only knows how to do 100tx, but that's more a shot in the dark
> than anything else.

i am not sure on this one...

> Then I picked up a batch of 4 EEPro100s off ebay, dropped 'em in,
> they worked perfectly as soon as I rebuilt my kernel (modules? we don'
> need no steenking modules!)

nothing wrong with the eepros, its just that 3com is a known player in the
market and intel... well it's intel, i'd rather AMD nics

> and that 3com card has been gathering
> dust ever since.

i'l buy you a beer for it

 -munir