On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 02:34:17PM -0600, Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Brian wrote:
> > Ahhhhhhh!!!  I run far and fast from those horrid 3Coms.  Netgear makes a
> > good solid card, I've been messing with the newer Intel EEPro100 VE
> > chipset and it seems to be pretty solid as well.  Avoid 3coms like the
> > plague.
>
> i beg to differ, i have had only the best from 3com cards. though i would
> like to know what kind of peoblems you have had...

My bad 3com (IIRC) 3c905b experience:

The damn thing refused to talk to my 10/100 switch (I don't recall
the switch's mfg and it's at home, I'm not) using the stock Linux
drivers and, after searching high and low, I could only turn up 905c
drivers from 3com - not that it would've helped anyhow, because ISTR
that it didn't work with the Windows drivers either.  The only way I
could get it to work was to plug the 3c905b into a 10Mbps hub and
uplink the hub into the 10/100 switch.  My best guess on why it
didn't work was that the card was insisting on 100t4, while the
switch only knows how to do 100tx, but that's more a shot in the dark
than anything else.

Then I picked up a batch of 4 EEPro100s off ebay, dropped 'em in,
they worked perfectly as soon as I rebuilt my kernel (modules? we don'
need no steenking modules!) and that 3com card has been gathering
dust ever since.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss