"Raymond Norton" <admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us> writes:

> > You CAN run squid on port 80!  You just can't run both squid AND your
> > web server on port 80.  Will squid do redirection?  Could you get it to
> > redirect queries intended for your local web server to another port and
> > then run your webserver on that other port?
> > OR
> > you could assign another IP address to your
> > webserver on the same interface.
>
> This is the kind of thing I was hoping for. Would it work just to add a
> second nic, and NAT the public IP for the web site to the new private
> IP,and of course edit httpd.conf to bind to the new address? Or can you add
> a second IP to a single nic, and do the rest mentioned?

You can alias a second IP address to the same physical port (this only
makes sense if you are in fact carrying both networks on the same LAN
segment).  I do this at home, since my LAN carries both the
10. private internal net and the 63.224.10.72-79 public IP net.  The
workstations don't listen to the public net, the public servers listen
to both through one NIC.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net