> I assume IE was the web browser?
>
> What's best is to setup a proxy.pac file with the configuration of
> squid in it, then setup the web browser to grab the proxy.pac file. If
> you have to make any changes in the future you just have to change the
> proxy.pac file and all the web browsers will get the change.
>
> To solve your problem, is a web server running on the squid server? I
> don't think this is possible since linux should complain about 2
> services on 1 port.
>
> Is IE configured to  not look at the proxy for locate addresses?
>
> If you got a firewall, do you allow port 80 out?

The server is RedHAt 7.1. I am running the local www domain on port 80. It
is using Iptables, but allows some basics, including port 80. On the
surface it looks like I can't run squid on 80, since my initial post
describes my woes. As mentioned, if I move squid back to port 3128, and
leave the website on port 80, everything works great. The workstations
(lots), have been hard set to run on 10.100.100.130:80. On IE, I could just
do a regedit in my login script, but many have Netscape. So I'm guessing
everyone agrees, I have no choice but to change the port on each
workstation, or at least set each one to auto proxy???