Quoting admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us (admin at support.lctn.k12.mn.us):
> I have a school district that was using NT for web,mail, and proxy. I moved
> them over to Linux, using squid for the proxy. All workstations are set up
> to use port 80 for their proxy settings. Now users only get the local web
> site on the Linux server. I tried to change squid from port 3128 to 80, but
> it doesn't correct the problem. if I change the port to 3128 they have full
> access to the Internet, but where talking a lot of machines to change. Is
> there a way to get around this so I can  keep my current settings? I am
> brand new to Squid, so please be specific.

I assume IE was the web browser?

What's best is to setup a proxy.pac file with the configuration of squid in it,
then setup the web browser to grab the proxy.pac file. If you have to make any
changes in the future you just have to change the proxy.pac file and all the web
browsers will get the change.

To solve your problem, is a web server running on the squid server? I don't
think this is possible since linux should complain about 2 services on 1 port.

Is IE configured to  not look at the proxy for locate addresses?

If you got a firewall, do you allow port 80 out?

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500